Friday, October 11, 2013

Why Bhutan?

That is the question I have been hearing from most people lately.  After "where is that?" People who have heard about Bhutan, though, say "Ahhhhhh Bhutan..." 

One reason I was drawn to Bhutan is that they measure their kingdom's value using a statistical method around the concept of "Gross National Happiness".  Yes, it is a real statistical method and you can look up the details for yourself. 

Another reason is that is it located in the Himalaya mountains and is hard to get to in many ways.  They only let in a limited number of people a year because they have limited guides; you have to travel with a guide from their country and a driver; and only 8 pilots are licensed to fly there since it is considered the most dangerous airport in the world because of the location.  Sounds like my kind of adventure!

There is one more reason I chose to go to Bhutan.  Because it is a very small country in size and population (600,000) and borders China. Let's just say I want to visit before the possibility of it falling to the same fate as Tibet.

So off I go to explore this seldom visited place and experience Gross National Happiness for myself... 

1 comment: