Friday, May 9, 2014

Impressions of Tokyo

What an impressive city.  I have never visited a place where everything is always on time including trains, busses and people.  It is beyond my comprehension how this can happen in a city with a population of 9 million.  I can only guess that people's time is highly valued here.
 
The underground metro system is complex but well organized and I had no problem getting around to the places I wanted to see.  It was helpful, though, that my friend Brian who travels here 4 times a year loaned me his metro card and loaded it up so I didn't have that to think about! I found it interesting that most of my work colleagues commute by metro at least one hour each way to get to the office; the cost of living here is higher than I thought.

All the people I interacted with, from the lady at the post office with her poodle, to an expat waiting for a train, to my work colleagues, and everyone in between, were genuinely friendly, respectful, polite, and calm.  I did not encounter one stressed out person.  Also, the city is very safe.  People are out at all hours and no one locks up their bikes.  Lots of people ride bikes, many leave them at an area near metro stations, and there is no fear of theft! 

The food was amazing.  I got to eat all kinds of traditional foods like sashimi, uni (sea urchin), tempura, miso soup, noodles in broth, and many things that I didn't even question!  Everything was fresh and beautifully presented.  My work colleagues were surprised I chose to fumble my way through meals using chopsticks and didn't ask for silverware!  Also, salad is served at breakfast, which was awesome since I have to admit I was missing my kale and chia seed drink! 

If you like good food, friendly people, a sense of order, large cities, are not intimidated by a language you probably can't read or speak, I highly recommend Tokyo.

1 comment:

  1. Do you find it tough to get around, considering the language barrier? Has it hindered your navigation of the city at all (doesn't appear that it has, I'm just curious).

    ReplyDelete